Monday, August 4, 2008

the time

is approaching when we will all leave our respectable, warm summer habitats and march towards education, success, and ultimately--the frosty future. normally my sentiments at this time of the summer are predominately negative and disappointed, tinged with excitement and nervousness for the fall, but this summer, my shit is on the walls. i couldn't be more excited for europe... don't remind me that i'll have commitments, obligations, and a huge crock full of confusion and frustration dragging me down. going to london means that i'm real. i'm not just a college student; i'm a college student that's trying really hard. this world is a big place and i want to get lost.

so yes, there were camping trips and swim outings, i skipped work to get fucked up, i annoyed the shit of my parents and shirked all responsibility to the brink of unhealthiness.... but this summer has been empty. i have missed my hallowed hippie friends much more than i could have expected. every time i get a drunk dial from paul or nathan, i remember last summer and shed a happy tear. when solomon sends me facebook messages even a year later (and from peru), i get psyched. i have greatly missed the unabashed intelligence of my Bloomington peers, and am tired of treading water filled with parasitic mediocrities.

and damn it, sagan. i don't see what anyone could see in anyone else. but you.

and we're going to get through this.

No comments: